ChipLakeNEWS InfoSheet

This InfoSheet is number: 0801

Summary: General information about new rules in place (and soon to be in place) about crossing the USA - Canadian Border by LAND.

The Old Orient, ME - Fosterville, NB Bridge
Once, the Shortest vehicle bridge between the USA and Canada
"We couldn't get under it in the motorboat until the water level dropped in August. When we'd cross into Canada, Paul Gardiner would be on the bridge with his rod and he'd check us right there so as not to spoil the fishing."
Don Franklin

See InfoSheet 0802 for general information about crossing the International Border by BOAT.


The more local people ask about, apply for and use these federal programs, the sooner they will be activated and made known for all to use.

We should keep in mind that regulations should be enforced CONSISTANTLY in each unique LOCAL AREA rather than UNIFORMLY across all northern and southern borders...what is true for one area is not necessarily true for ALL other border areas.

There are two (and soon a third) ports-of-entry across the St. Croix River between Calais, ME and St. Stephen, NB...another port is located across the upper St. Croix between Vanceboro, ME and St. Croix, NB and another 24 hour port is located between Houlton, ME and Woodstock/Belleville, NB.
two remote ports are
open during limited hours between Orient, ME and Fosterville, NB and another between Forest City, ME and Forest City, NB.

U.S. – Canada LAND Border Crossing Notes & Comments

Background Information

Because of the US Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) for the land (and sea) portion of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires that a Passport or other secure document proving citizenship and identity be presented for border security and facilitating entry into the US. Although not currently widely published, Canadian border officials may also require border-crossers to present identifying documents at any time. The air travel portion of WHTI requirements has already been put into effect and cross-border air travelers must carry and present either a traditional Passport or the new NEXUS credentials when entering the US from Canada by air.

Frequent US Citizen border crossers (and perhaps Canadian Citizens for some programs) who are dreading the day when they'll be required to carry their passport with them every trip have gotten a reprieve from having to carry a traditional Passport and now have high-tech alternatives approved by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) which lets an immigration agent know a person's identity even before he or she gets to the booth. They'll still have to carry a unique ID (now that the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) final requirements took effect June 1, 2009 but they will have the options of using a high-tech alternative approved by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) which lets an immigration agent know a person's identity sometimes even before he or she gets to the booth...and they will be able to fit in one’s wallet.

NOTE: The information in GREEN, immediately below is the NEWEST information available and is the newest information about crossing our friendly local borders.

CBP states, "As of June 1, 2009 US and Canadian Citizens under the age of 16 (or anyone under 19, if travelling with a school, religious, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Canadian Citizenship Card or a naturalization certificate." Costs for documents for minors, as noted below, are given but the statement above says that the expensive documents below are not needed for minors below the age of 16. NEXUS credentials are issued free of charge to children age 17 and younger.

"US Customs and Border Protection requires these [following] documents for US ['age 16 and above'] citizens." Anticipatedly [but unstated in a flyer] similar documents will be required for entry into the US by Canadian Citizens.

The list of recommended documents, in order as listed on a flyer, includes:

1) U. S. Passport Card - Cost for US Citizens age 16 and older $45.00 [if a passport has not been previously issued] or $20.00 if requested with a new or renewed passport. Under age 16, the cost is $35.00. The Passport Card is valid for 10 years for adults or 5 years for minors. The Passport Card is issued by the US Department of State to US Citizens and is NOT valid for international air travel, which requires other credentials. See [This credential is the least expensive document for entry into the US from other North American countries (Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean Islands) ONLY.] Passport Cards may be applied for at US Post Offices in Houlton, Mars Hill and Princeton (in addition to other locations).

2) Enhanced Driver's License - Cost is probably going to be $15 to $30 above a "regular photo" license. The enhancement is that citizenship is certified on an Enhanced Driver's License. The last time I heard, Maine does not issue and doesn't plan to issue an Enhanced Driver's License. Issuance is by individual states or provinces and this credential is NOT valid for air travel outside of the US.The states of New York, Vermont and Washington MAY issue enhanced drivers licenses.

3) US Passport - This is the standard, full, book-style, blue Passport. Cost is $100 for age 16 and older...$85.00 for minors under age 16. Photos are required and cost more. Validity is 10 years for adults and 5 years for minors. Passports are issued by the US Department of State [often via larger US Post Offices...Houlton is one] to US citizens (and by Federal (??) Canada to Canadian Citizens).

4) NEXUS Card - Trusted Traveler Program Credentials are issued to US and Canadian pre-approved low-risk travelers for crossing the US/Canada border. [NOTE: NEW Nexus Cards were be issued to all current NEXUS Card holders in the fall of 2008. The original NEXUS Cards are now invalid.] In addition to fingerprinting and a personal interview by US/Canadian officials at the time of issuance, the cost is $50 for a term of 5 years, HOWEVER added benefits allow; a) access to dedicated commuter lanes on the US/Canadian border (at certain ports) AND, b) expedited marine reporting [at least when entering the USA...maybe for entry into Canada in the future] AND, c) access to NEXUS kiosks at designated Canadian Airports [but only after the credential holder's iris has been recorded at limited locations]. NEXUS credentials are issued by the US Customs & Border Protection (CBP) Agency and Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) Woodstock/Belleville for US and Canadian citizens...US citizens are interviewed by CBSA agents and Canadians by CBP Agents. Visit or better, visit to download an application which can be mailed with payment and required documents. When the documents are ready, you will be notified to report for your interview and fingerprinting.
NEXUS credentials are issued free of charge to children age 17 and younger.

4) FAST Cards
[Free and Secure Trade] may be applied for by Trusted Traveler pre-approved low-risk US/Can TRUCK DRIVERS for crossing either the Canadian or the Mexican border. Visit Cost is $50 for 5 years. NEW FAST Cards will be issued to all current FAST Card truckers in the fall of 2008 (anticipatedly by mail).

5) SENTRI Cards
[Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection] are valid only to pre-approved low-risk trusted travelers crossing the US/Mexican border. Visit Cost is $122.25 for 5 years. NEW SENTRI Cards were issued to all current card holders in the fall of 2008.

To RECAP: Starting June 1, 2009 a standard driver's license and birth certificate will no longer provide easy access for adults into the USA from Canada, although youngsters under age 16 will still be admitted to the USA by showing an original, photocopy or certified copy of their birth certificate. The new Passport Card or an Enhanced Driver's License (if issued by your state/province) is the cheapest credential for entry at a highway port...NEXUS Cards provide some added access benefits at certain highway ports and by boat ... BUT ONLY a full PASSPORT is useful for air travel and travel beyond North America. The application process for all of these $ credentials takes 1-4 MONTHS...I don't know about time constraints for Enhanced Driver's Licenses nor where they are available...if you plan cross-border trips, it behooves you to obtain one of these forms of identification.

Although US citizens without these new credentials may face a longer interview/wait time, it's unlikely that entry to the USA will be refused to US Citizens...non-US Citizens may be refused legal entry without acceptible credentials.

Remote Port Entry Program (RPEP) cards are not mentioned in current printed information but are still acceptible at certain small, remote, part-time US ports that are open for limited hours. CANPASS is no longer active at the Canadian Port of Fosterville, NB or the port of Forest City, NB.

There are the three common documents that an average border-crosser might choose to use for easy entry into the USA...a traditional paper book-style Passport issued by the Department of State of any country for its citizens, one of the new Passport Cards (or PASS Card as they are occasionally called - for US Citizens only) or the new and currently in-use Nexus (Air/Highway/Marine) Card that is available to both US and Canadian citizens.

Passport - Traditional and internationally accepted identification devise for all travel abroad

The traditional Passport is the most widely acceptible form of identification and proof of citizenship when travelling’s also the most expensive and the credential that often takes the longest to obtain. If you plan to travel beyond the northern hemisphere, you’ll need to apply for and obtain a traditional passport which costs about $100.00 per person and is good for 10 years (and renewable within 15 years of issue). Most large US Post Offices can act as application points and can provide passport photos (at additional cost) and are usually the easiest locations to get to. The issue time is six weeks and often longer...but the credential is the longest in use.

NEXUS Card - A Trusted Traveler credential for travel between the USA and Canada along with Mexico and some other North American island nations.

NEXUS credentials are available to all US and Canadian Citizens and have been developed for frequent, trusted US-Canada border travelers. There are three sections to NEXUS travel...all use the same devise, a wallet-size plastic card with an RFID card, NOT three different cards.

The NEXUS AIR portion is used for air travel between the two countries...card holders must have had their iris (eye) pattern recorded in order for the NEXUS Card to be accepted for air travel...highway and marine travelers need not have their iris pattern on record. NEXUS kiosks are located at certain airports used for US-CAN air travel and NEXUS card holders can bypass long lines using those kiosks with their cards. Iris pattern recording is not available in the Houlton/Woodstock area.

The NEXUS HIGHWAY portion of the program is useful at most large ports of vehicle entry (including Woodstock/Belleville, Houlton and Calais/St. Stephen) via marked car or truck lanes and are open usually during specific high-volume travel times ONLY. Smaller, low volume 24-hour ports will not necessarily have special lanes but may have the radio frequency identification readers used to access information once you get to the window, and can read the information on both a NEXUS card and a Passport Card. Remote ports such as Orient/Fosterville and Forest City/Forest City won’t have special lanes but should be able to read NEXUS and Passport Cards. In addition to a full Passport and a Passport Card, the NEXUS Card alone satisfies identification and citizenship requirements to enter the USA at designated highway ports.

The NEXUS MARINE portion of the program is now active on both coasts and in certain areas on the Great Lakes...
and is currently active for the Chiputneticook Lakes area but only for entry into the USA...boat passengers entering Canada by boat may NOT phone-in to clear Customs and Immigration processes. See more about local cross-border boating on the boat crossing page for NEXUS, I-68, Canadian Border Boat Landing Program (CBBLP), Outlying Area Reporting Station (OARS) and CanPASS-Private Boat.

In any case, the NEXUS credentials will satisfy the requirement to present identification to enter the USA by land and water for those travelers who apply and qualify to receive them...NEXUS CARD holders will NOT have to carry and present a full Passport to enter the USA from Canada.

Anyone interested in applying for all NEXUS program credentials may get information about required documents, instructions about how to apply and may download application forms by visiting: or at
The cost is currently $50.00 per individual (in both US Dollars and CAN Dollars) and the credentials are valid for a five (5) year term. All frequent travelers including children must receive their own credentials to use NEXUS facilities. Once approved for acceptance into the NEXUS program, applicants must go to an Issuing Center to be photographed and fingerprinted (and have their iris pattern recorded for air travel)...the northern Maine and western New Brunswick Issuing Center is at the Woodstock/Belleville (NB) Customs Office just east of the Houlton Port on Interstate 95 (866-930-3278 or 506-325-3199 after 9:00 AM Atlantic Time (8:00 am EST). US officers include Gordon Anderson and Phil Hathaway.

The currently valid NEXUS cards should be kept in the shielded sleeve that is provided with your card to guard against unauthorized reading. A new card can be applied for and issued without much hassle...if the original card is lost or destroyed accidentally.

Passport Card - sometimes called the PASS Card:

U.S. citizens may now apply for the new U.S. Passport Card at a participating US Post Office (Houlton does participate but an appointment should be made...walkup applicants may apply in Mars Hill and Princeton) for land border travel documents. Delivery of the actual card usually takes 4-6 weeks.

The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards. The Department of State is issuing this Passport Card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card will have the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult, five for children 15 and younger. Adults who already have a passport book, may apply for the card as a passport renewal and pay only $20. First-time applicants will pay $45 for adult cards and $35 for children.

To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet DHS’s operational needs at land border Ports of Entry, the passport card will contain a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip will link the card to a stored record in secure government databases. There will be no personal information written to or stored on the RFID chip itself.



Local information is that the US Post Office in Houlton limits the number of applications it will process per day. The US Post Offices in Mars Hill, ME and Princeton, ME may process your application sooner than the Houlton Post Office. Mars Hill is about 28 miles north of Houlton and Princeton is about 10 miles south of Topsfield.


Why a Passport Card?
The Department of State has developed a Passport Card as a more portable and less expensive alternative to the traditional passport book. The passport card is a basic component of the PASS (People Access Security Service) system announced by Secretaries Rice and Chertoff in January 2006, and will meet the specific requirements of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to secure and expedite travel. WHTI is the Administration’s plan to implement a provision of the Intelligence Reform Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, which requires citizens of the United States, Canada, and Bermuda to have a passport or other designated document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States from Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean. According to the Department of Homeland Security, other documents such as registered traveler cards (NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST cards) will be acceptable under WHTI.

How did the Department decide on the cost of the Passport Card?
Consular Fees reflect the cost of providing passport services to the American public. Per regulation, the Department of State employs an independent consultant to conduct periodic and regular cost of service studies to determine the cost of providing consular services. The cost of service study indicated that the Department could issue a card for $20 for an adult and $10 for a child. With the
execution fee of $25, the total cost for an adult is $45, or 37.5 cents per month over a ten year period.

Why is there an execution fee?
First time applicants, minors and those seeking to replace a lost or stolen passport must appear in person before a person authorized by the Secretary of State to give oaths to verify their passport applications. In order to offer American citizens convenient locations to apply for a passport, the Department of State authorizes Passport Acceptance Agents to accept passport applications on its behalf. American citizens can apply at more than 9,000 passport acceptance facilities, most of them with the U.S. Postal Service. Other government facilities include many state, county, township, and municipal offices as well public libraries and public universities. The execution fee is to reimburse the acceptance facility for the cost of the service, which provides an incentive for them to act on behalf of the Department of State. The current cost of the execution fee per application will be reduced to $25 beginning February 1, 2008. The execution fee applies to first-time applicants, children and replacements for lost or stolen passports. Since the execution fee does not apply to applications for renewals, adult passport holders will pay only $20 for the card. You can locate the acceptance facility nearest you at:

Why can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada and Mexico?
The passport card is designed for the specific needs of border resident communities and is not a globally interoperable travel document as is the traditional passport book. The passport book is the appropriate travel document for most international travel.

How secure is the card?
Because the wallet-sized Passport Card does not offer as many opportunities to embed security features as a passport book, the Department has decided to use laser engraving and will include state-of-the-art security features to mitigate against the possibility of counterfeiting and forgery. We are taking every care to ensure that this Passport Card is as secure as current technology permits. There will be no personal information written to the RFID chip.

What is RFID Technology?
Radio Frequency Identification technology (RFID) has been used successfully along our land borders with Canada and Mexico since 1995 in the Department of Homeland Security’s trusted traveler programs, such as NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST. U.S. border officials are able to expedite legitimate cross-border travel and trade of those trusted travelers who carry membership cards with vicinity read RFID chips that link to government databases. Membership in these programs currently exceeds 400,000. RFID technology has been commercially available in one form or another since the 1970s. It can be found in car keys, highway toll tags, bank cards and security access cards. The Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers, who staff the ports of entry, anticipate that the speed of vicinity RFID will allow CBP officers, in advance of the traveler’s arrival at the inspection booth, to quickly access information on the traveler from secure government databases, and allow for automated terrorist watch list checks without impeding traffic flow. In addition, they foresee that multiple cards can be read at a short distance and simultaneously, allowing an entire car of people to be processed at once. The RFID technology embedded in documents will not include any personally identifying information; only a unique number that can be associated with a record stored in a secure government database will be transmitted.

Has the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) certified the Card Architecture as required by law?
As required by legislation (Homeland Security Appropriations Act of 2007, Sect. 546), NIST has reviewed the card architecture of the proposed passport card to be developed by the Department of State in response to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). On May 1, 2007, NIST informed the Departments of State and Homeland Security (DHS) that the proposed card architecture meets or exceeds the relevant international security standards and best practices for the technology that will be included in the card. To accommodate the Department of Homeland Security’s operational needs at the ports of entry, the Department of State passport card will include Generation 2 RFID vicinity read technology. NIST notified Congress on May 3, 2007, that it had certified the security of the card architecture.

Is there a threat from skimming personal information or tracking American citizens?
The RFID technology used in the passport card will enable the card to be read at a short distance by an authorized CBP reader mounted alongside the traffic lane as the card is "presented" or "displayed" to the automated reader/antenna. The chip contains no biographic data as is the case with the e-passport. The chip will have a unique number linking the card to a secure database maintained by DHS and State. However, to address concerns that passport card bearers can be tracked by this technology, we are requiring that the vendor provide a sleeve that will prevent the card from being read while inside it.

Passport Card Layout
The Passport Card is formatted according to specifications for TD-1 size travel documents, as described in ICAO Document 9303, Part 3, Volume 1. The card contains both eye readable and machine readable information. For machine reading, information corresponding to personal data is printed in the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) [on the back of the card at the bottom].

[The original PDF received by the clN showed a photo of Front of Card with blank artwork and Back of a sample card. The graphics have not been reproduced here.]

Card back artwork, showing “PASSsystem” (in color shifting ink) location and which will include a unique preprinted card number and 3 of 9 1D bar code, and room for the MRZ.

Passport Card and NEXUS Card RFID readers/antennas
As you approach a CBSA or a CBP Port of Entry Inspection Booth, have your Passport or NEXUS card out and ready...and "display" or "present" it to an RFID Reader/Antenna mounted on the driver's side of the inspection lane immediately before reaching the officer's booth. Doing so will display your data to the inspecting officer before you reach the booth and speed your interview process. The antennas are usually white and about a foot (12") square. Such antennas are mounted at all designated NEXUS lanes and at many standard Port of Entry auto lanes.  At some locations a number is displayed as additional cards are presented and read.

For more information visit:

Remote Port Entry Program (RPEP) - Another US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) pilot program (limited locally to Orient and Forest City, Maine...and some western Maine ports) allows entry into the USA only at specifically equipped remote ports and ONLY at times that those remote ports are closed and abandoned. Gates, sensors, cameras, phone connections and embedded RFID chips all combine to allow US CBP officials to securely identify and approve trusted and pre-authorized US and Canadian citizens to enter the USA at certain remote ports when those ports are closed and abandoned. RPEP credential holders access this special system at the closed port of land entry with their chip-embedded card and [when the devises work] electronically record their fingerprint pattern when they enter the closed port area and then a CBP officer at a remote 24/7 location interviews the traveler by phone and camera. Upon his satisfaction, the gates are opened remotely and the traveler may proceed. All passengers in the vehicle must be RPEP credential holders.

RPEP Credentials are generally NOT RECOGNIZED except at the local port where their use is authorized...they are NOT on the list of devises that will be accepted in place of a Passport or other identification devises as a result of WHTI regulations.

RPEP authorized vehicles are fitted with different RFID devises that automatically raise exit gates if the credential holder wishes to leave the USA at a closed remote port that he is specifically authorized to use, HOWEVER, the credential holder must also possess valid credentials to ENTER CANADA if the port on the Canadian side is closed. CANPASS cards are no longer valid for entty into Canada... travelers not authorized to enter a closed Canadian port are warned NOT to enter Canada illegally even if they hold valid RPEP credentials.

EDITOR’S NOTE: Local Maine RPEP equipped remote ports may be used for emergency entry into the USA even when they are closed and even when the traveler doesn’t hold RPEP credentials. Travelers in an emergency situation should press the silver “Call” button on the RPEP kiosk at a closed port office and wait for verbal instructions from a CBP officer who will open the gate. Alternately, emergency travellers should phone the Houlton Office Main Desk at 207-532-2131 ext 255. The main road gates blocking entry into the USA at Forest City and Orient, Maine are never "locked" and may be physicall opened under emergency conditions ONLY. Sensors will detect the gates being opened and cameras will record such passages.

Emergency travellers may also enter Canada at an abandoned CBSA port but are warned to contact CBSA at the 24/7 Woodstock/Belleville Office at 506-325-3181.


NOTE: New RPEP Kiosks have been installed at the CBP Ports of Orient and Forest City, ME and function properly (for the most part). 

New RPEP Cards have been issued to established RPEP Credential Holders through the Port of Houlton and work at the new kiosks using the new readers. New RPEP Cards (thin black line/frame around the picture) should be held close to the "shelf" above the blue light AND the credential holder must then present his (proper) finger to the fingerprint reader before a connection will be made with CASC in Houlton. Prompts are given via the SMALL monitor next to the fingerprint reader on the new kiosks. The LARGE monitor at the top of the kiosks are for other purposes.

If these procedures fail, a connection BUTTON on either reader will initiate a phone connection with CASC in Houlton.

Although the regulations may change,
Documents that are acceptible Proof of Identity and Citizenship under WHTI include:

Passport (traditional book form)

Other accepted Trusted Traveler Credentials (RFID embedded chip)
Passport Card aka PASS Card (Radio Frequency Identification RFID embedded chip)
Nexus Highway Card - US Form I-823 or Canadian Form E 643E
Nexus Air - Canadian Form E694E
Nexus Marine - Canadian Form E695E
Sentri Highway US Form I-823S (Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection)
Sentri Pedestrian US Form I-823S
FAST Card - Limited to Commercial Truck Traffic (Free And Secure Trade)
PAL Form I-866
Low Risk enrollment system Form CBP 823A
Enhanced Driver’s Licenses issued by the following states.

Washington State (citizenship must be indicated - RFID Chip embedded)
Arizona (citizenship must be indicated - RFID Chip embedded)
New York (citizenship must be indicated - RFID Chip embedded)
Vermont (citizenship must be indicated - RFID Chip embedded)

Other valid credentials probably include:

Valid Merchant Marine Documention (when on Maritime business)
Valid US Military ID Card (when travelling on official orders or permit)
American Indian Card Form I-872
Permanent Resident Card
Form I-551 for Alien Residents, Refugees and Asylees

Special Purpose Credentials - Good (only) at certain closed remote ports (incl. Orient & Forest City, ME).

RPEP Form I-823S (Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) embedded chip)
EDITOR’S NOTE: The RPEP card is not listed among authorized alternative entry credentials but might be accepted at those remote ports.

After June 1, 2009, the above listed documents are "required" of cross-border travelers

Special Flexible Treatment of Minors will be allowed:

Passports and alternative documents MAY be waived for US Citizens in certain individual cases on a case-by-case basis for:

Emergency Medical Treatment
Fire Fighters responding to a fire call
Emergency workers responding to a natural disaster
Medi-vac Cases
Plane Crash Survivors
Humanitarian Interest
National Interest
AND Seconday screening at the port may be required by CBP Officials

Canadian Customs Border Security Agency officials
any of the above listed credentials for entry into Canada
another document issued by Canadian Agencies.


US Customs & Border Protection - Department of Homeland Security

Houlton Field Operations Main Desk 207-532-2131 and FAX 207-532-6622

Customs Area Security Center (CASC) 207-532-2131 e219

For RPEP - Credential-issuing agents include Gordon Anderson and Phil Hathaway
For an appointment 866-930-3278 or 506-325-3199 after 9:00 AM Atl Time (8:00 am Eastern Time).
Credentials are issued at the Houlton CBP Office on I-95, usually in the afternoon.

For CBBLP/I-68 Credentials issuing agents include Clay Quint or Barry Smith them at the main Houlton CBP phone, above.
To report a boat landing in Maine under CBBLP or I-68 and under NEXUS (Marine) phone 207-532-2131 e255
To report a boat landing by e-mail under NEXUS Marine

Chris Sullivan, Houlton Region Port Director 207-532-2131 e240
Tom Horton - FAST, NEXUS and RPEP 207-532-2131 e244
Keith Fleming - US CBP Area Director, Portland 207-771-3610 (Debbie Dwearcan, Asst. Port Director)
Tony Woo, NE Region Public Affairs Spokesperson, Boston - 617-565-6331

Houlton Office of Border Patrol, North Road - 207-532-9061

Orient, ME CBP Office 207-448-2427 - Paul Thomas, Senior Officer

Forest City, ME CBP Office 207- 448-2288

Canadian Customs Border Services Agency - Agence des services frontaliers du Canada
1403, Route 95, Belleville, NB E7M 4Z9

Woodstock/Belleville Office 506-325-3181 Fax: 506-328-4850
John Dolimount, North West NB District Director - 506-325-3178
Steve Bede

Pat Gallvan - 506-328-9211
Regional Program Service Officer

Dominick Mallette - Halifax
Regional Manager for Programs

Nexus Issuing Center - Woodstock/Bellevue, NB
866-930-3278 or 506-325-3199 after 9:00 AM Atlantic Time (8:00 am EST).
US officers include Gordon Anderson and Phil Hathaway.

Fosterville, NB CBSA Office - 506-894-2281

Forest City, NB CBSA Office - 506-894-2452

Automated Customs Information Service (ACIS)

800-461-9999 in Canada
506-636-5064 from outside Canada

CBSA Traveler's Division - 204-983-3500
Ottawa K1A 0L5

CANPASS Programs

Denis Bourgoin
Atlantic Regional Program Officer
506-739-1373 - ? Edmundston

CANPASS Processing Centre, Montreal, PQ 514-283-9900

There are NO currently functioning CANPASS locations for entry into Canada at closed CBSA Ports

NEXUS Information

866-NEXUS26 - same as 866-639-8726 - recorded non-human information

To Report Suspicious Cross-Border Activities



LINKS to related WEBSITES:

US State Department - Travel Information

US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and

US Customs & Border Protection (CBP)

Canadian Border Security Agency (CBSA)

NEXUS (USA and CANADA Joint Program)
- Instructions and Application Form

NEXUS Marine

Outlying Area Reporting Station (OARS)
This program does not allow entry into Canada and still functions for entry into the USA only during the hours that the Orient CBP Field Operations Port of Entry is open and staffed.

Remote Port Entry Program (RPEP)
No RPEP information or page could be found on the internet.

Canadian Border Boat Landing Program (CBBLP) Form I-68

CANPASS - Private Boats
Sorry, this page was taken down by CBSA and may have been suspended.



Corrections to this page should be e-mailed to ChipLakeINFO <AT> Please show both the incorrect information displayed on this page ALONG WITH correct information. Thanks

ChipLakeNEWS Pages: List of Past InfoSheets - Home Page

2008 - (WW) William P. Walton, III .- All Rights Reserved